There are many things you can do to make a family reunion memorable and enjoyable. If you are interested in the traditional picnic family reunion in matching t-shirts or if you are looking for something different, we’ve got something that will spark your interest.
We’ve put together a list of family reunion ideas everyone will enjoy!
Spending time with your relatives can be fun and allow you to create memories. However, what if you could work together to create something physical that you and your family will have to cherish for years and years to come? Check out these examples:
- Ask each relative to bring their favorite family recipe. These can then be collected and transformed into a cookbook for all to enjoy. Or, you can always ask for these to be sent in advance and have the cookbook on hand at the time of the reunion.
- Like the above, have relatives provide their favorite quote or favorite memory to be bound together and distributed.
- Photo albums and historical documents are irreplaceable. Carefully collect these and create a book of memories that will be passed down from generation to generation.
- Work together with relatives to create a family tree or timeline. Make copies, take pictures, or make notes. This is especially great for younger relatives that may have missed out on so much.
Hold A Talent Show
Everyone has a talent – even if it is a hidden talent! Gather up your relatives and put together a talent show at your family reunion. This can lead to memories, laughter, tears, and much joy. Those who are hesitant can remember that they are surrounded by the love of family and will likely be able to join right in.
To make it extra special, you may want to videotape the event and distribute to all your relatives. Also, provide certificates or awards to those with special traits or talents. Because it is all in fun, try not to make it about winning or losing. Instead, acknowledge all who participate.
Establish A Hashtag
This may be hard to do with older generations, but creating a hashtag will provide your family with access to each other’s photos from the reunion. For example, #johnsonfamily or #smithreunion2018. Any pictures uploaded to social media using these hashtags can be located by all family members. Think about it – some families are very large, and it is hard to not miss something. So, by creating the hashtag, family members can go back to review the reunion from a relative’s perspective. In addition, the host can use the hashtag to collect these photos and perhaps put together an album for everyone!
If you have computer savvy family members, creating a website for the event works well, too! It can be a one-stop shop for attendees – and for those who can’t make the event.
Get to Know Your Relatives Through Games
Depending on just how big your family is, you may or may not know all your relatives. And, even if you do, chances are that you don’t truly know them. Games can be fun, will be enjoyed by all, and can provide the opportunity to grow closer with one another by learning about one another.
Here are a few ideas:
- Trivia. People always love trivia games. If you have time in advance, send out a list of questions for all to complete. Then, transform those questions into trivia questions for everyone to answer. Such as, “This person lives in St. Louis and loves eating Pizza.” Or, “In 1939, this person was recruited by the U.S. Army.”
- Icebreaker games, such as this: Set a dish of candy in the middle of the table or a circle. Allow your relatives to grab as many as they’d like, but tell them they cannot eat them yet. Then, have them count the number of candies they took. Inform them for each candy, they must share one thing about themselves.
- Scavenger hunt. Have your relatives find things, such as: someone who has red hair, the tallest person, someone who can touch them nose with their tongue, someone who works with kids, etc.
Go Somewhere No One Has Been!
If games aren’t your thing and you are looking to get your family together in a destination-type event, then go somewhere! Diamond Resorts has great deals on vacations that everyone in the family should be able to afford. For example, they are offering trips to Orlando, Florida (home to Disney World and Universal Studios amusement parks) for 3 nights from $299.00. Or, check out these other deals:
- Sedona, AZ – 3 nights from $159.00.
- Daytona Beach, FL – 3 nights from $199.00
- Williamsburg, VA – 3 nights from $199.00
You and your family can discover someplace new and enjoy the company while you are at it. Transform old picnic family reunions into touristy fun with these getaways!
Take An All-Inclusive Trip!
If you are looking for a total escape for your family reunion, why not go on a cruise? These tend to be more inclusive with dining options and are welcomed by and enjoyed by so many. Diamond Resorts knows how much cruise passengers love these trips and offers great deals for escaping the mainland. Does this sound like what your family needs? Think about it – you will be on a ship in the middle of the ocean with all your relatives! This can lead to the perfect opportunity to get to know them better and spend quality time together.
Book your getaway today with some of these hot getaways:
- Eastern Caribbean: Includes stops in the Bahamas and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Western Caribbean: Includes stops in Honduras, Belize, and Mexico.
- Southern Caribbean: Includes stops in Puerto Rico, Barbados, Martinique, St Kitts, and the U.S. Virgin Islands
Family reunions don’t have to be boring. Talk to your family members, take a survey, and decide how you will be plan your family reunion so that everyone will enjoy!
* Link to third party site