Years ago, the annual family vacation was non-negotiable. Families from all over would hop in the car and set off on an often adventurous and unforgettable (for various reasons) road trip. However, in more recent years, families have begun to opt out of this annual event. Perhaps it is because family road trips aren’t as exciting in our world of instant gratification, where road trips seem archaic to many. Maybe it is because the trips families want to take – to exotic destinations or faraway places – are believed to be too costly. Or, maybe it is just too hard to take time off from the workplace.
Whatever the reason may be, it is time to get back into the annual event. There are so many reasons why you need a vacation – and they affect your happiness and your health!
Refresh Your Mind
Let’s say for a moment that you are working on a difficult math problem. You keep erasing your work, attempting new ways of solving it, just trying to get the right answer. But, you aren’t having any success. The more you try, the more frustrated you get – and eventually, you have confused yourself to the point that it doesn’t make sense at all. So, you step away for a bit. When you come back, you realize the answer is right in front of you! All you needed was a bit of clarity.
Well, the same thing is true about vacations. Instead of taking a step away from a math problem, you are stepping away from the day-to-day bustle of life. When you come back to work after your vacation, you are able to view things from a lighter, more refreshed perspective.
In fact, taking a vacation is like sending your mind on a spa day – its rejuvenating! And, guaranteed to make your focus and productivity to skyrocket!
Spending so much time working can often lead to elevated levels of stress*. In fact, sometimes you may be so stressed and not even realize it. And, face it – stress is not good for you! Continuous stress can lead to things, such as:
- Digestive issues
- High blood pressure and heart disease
- Increased weight gain
- Difficulty sleeping and fatigue
- Inability to focus
Taking a vacation can help decrease stress and, in turn, affect your body in a positive manner. Once you step away from your daily routine only then are you able to see how stressed your body actually was. Indulging yourself in time away can be extremely beneficial for both your body and your mind.
Now that you know taking time off can reduce your stress, you should also know that it can boost your mood*! Our bodies are very complex machines and all its parts work together to function. When one part is down, it begins to affect others. So, when you are stressed and beaten down, your mood will suffer.
By going on vacation, you are allowing your mind to rejuvenate and your mood to relax. This change in routine is enough to lift your spirits and bring back some feelings you may not have felt in quite some time.
Don’t let stress win. Fight back by going on a vacation and allowing yourself to reconnect the pieces.
Build Healthy Relationships
Family vacations* – or even just a vacation with your spouse or significant other – is the perfect time to strengthen your relationship. Relationships can be strained when dealing with daily life, such as with stressors from work or school, budgeting or home finances, or even social demands. Therefore, think of a vacation as a time to set aside everything else and work on rekindling your healthy relationship.
Whether it is with a husband, a wife, a partner, kids, parents, etc., spending time together when you have no other responsibilities can be extremely beneficial. Explore unfamiliar places, go on adventures, make memories, take pictures, play games, and laugh. It is good for you, it is good for everyone else, and it is good for your body. Plus, the progress you make on your vacation can follow you back home!
The Best Destinations for Your Health
So, where can you go to experience all these great perks for your happiness and your health? Anywhere. However, if you are looking for a more specific destination, we’ve got a list of some of the top rejuvenating spots to travel to. These places are quiet yet fun, with something to do for everyone.
- Williamsburg, Virginia*: Step back in time with your family in this quiet and quaint village.
- Annapolis, Maryland: This city is a sleepy town of boats, history, and many outdoor adventures.
- The Olympic Coast Beaches in Washington State: Beautiful, protected coastline with lots to do.
- Poconos, Pennsylvania: Outdoor and indoor adventures. High class and working class. This destination has a lot of the best of both worlds.
- Yosemite National Park, California: It is beautiful, calming, and rejuvenating. Will be loved by all in your party.
- Grand Canyon National Park*, Arizona. Explore this wonder of the earth with those you love the most.
And, if you are wanting to travel a bit further:
- The Bahamas: There is lots to see and do in the Bahamas*, from the beautiful blue beaches to the straw market!
- Hawaii: Outdoor adventures galore. Explore the islands, enjoy the beaches, or take a surf lesson!
- Crete, Greece: Your family will love traveling to this Greek island* to see the various beautiful landscape and learn about the rich culture.
- Vancouver Island, Canada: This beautifully landscaped area provides some perfect scenic drives and the perfect place for a family picnic.
If adventure is what you seek:
- Discover your family’s interests and research some of the best spots. You can also join Diamond Resorts for the opportunity to experience some of the most memorable Events of a Lifetime.
It doesn’t necessarily matter as much where you go, as long as you take that vacation. Choose one of the places above, or find your own. Just go. Renew your mind and increase your health. You deserve it!
* Link to third party site