The world delivers stress to our doorstep fresh each day. Whether it’s an annoying commute, the long line for gas/coffee/tolls/you name it, or just the pressures of what you didn’t finish yesterday, consider these stress-beating tips from Dr. Leigh Vinocur, our very own Vacation Doctor.
- Meditation. It works, it is free, it doesn’t require any special equipment, and you can do it anywhere.
- Massage and/or Bodywork. There is something magical, soothing, and stress-reducing about hands-on therapies.
- Deep breaths. Stop and take long, slow, deep inhalations and exhalations. It has an undeniable calming effect and can slow down the march of stress in your system.
- Drinking plenty of water. When we are stressed we tend to forget about our daily hydration needs, which can in turn add to the stress. Water is essential to maintaining one’s equilibrium.
- Do a quick posture check. When standing, hold your head and shoulders upright. If sitting, avoid slumping. Bad posture can definitely increase stress and lead to muscle tension and pain.
- Get outdoors and breathe fresh air. Even five minutes on a balcony or terrace can be rejuvenating.
- Take a vacation. Could you see that one coming? A vacation is a very good way to let go of stress. You change your environment, you change the requirements of everyday life, and the stress has less source material to work with.